Saturday, May 21, 2011

Vegan Mushroom Soup

The consistency of this mushroom soup reminds me of the Campell Creamed Mushroom soup, however, it is made from scratch, only with healthy ingredients and it is vegan. And delicious.
  • 1 white onion, small diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 TB grapeseed oil
  • 1 cup of fresh mushroom (e.g. portabella mushroom, shitake, oyster, etc.), cleaned and sliced
  • 1 cup of dried mushroom (e.g. shitake, porcini, and/or oyster)
  • 1 spring of thyme
  • 1/4 cup unflavored almond milk
  • 1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas
  • 1 ts vegetable bouillon
  • optionally: more water, depending on wanted consistency
  • salt, pepper to taste
For garnish: more fresh mushroom sauteed in olive oil, salt and pepper and some feta crumbles.
Reconstitute the dried mushrooms in 2 cups of boiling water for about 10min. Heat a pot with the grapeseed oil and fry the onion and garlic until translucent, then add the fresh mushrooms. Saute the mushroom until they are slightly browned. Now, add the dried mushroom with the soaking liquid. Stir and combine well. Bring to a boil, and then turn down the heat to a medium-low simmer. Add the thyme, bouillon, almond  milk and the chickpeas. Simmer on medium-low for ca. 30min. Let it cool, and then puree in a really good blender (e.g. vitamix) to get a creamy, smooth consistency. Reheat, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with sauteed fresh baby bella mushroom and feta crumbles (optional).
mushroom soup

19 comments:

  1. That is one tasty looking mushroom soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dinner! I didn't have chickpeas or enough mushrooms so I added collards and leftover broccoli stems. my soup looks green and tastes great. excited to grocery shop and make your soup for reals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, especially that you use almond milk instead of cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, new to the blog, forget my earlier comment. I understand everything is single servings. That's pretty cool. Any guess as to the calories in this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes about 2 smaller servings or 1 very large serving. ca 250kcal for the entire soup. you can use less grapeseed oil, which would bring it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, I noticed your garnish of feta crumbles, and wanted to point out that feta is NOT vegan...I do realize you call the SOUP vegan, not the garnish, and i'm being all nit-picky. You CAN make a good "fake" vegan feta yourself, though! It's tofu based. (If ye google it, ye shall find.) Other than that, this sounds FAB! I'm going to try it tonight. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the non-vegan cheese in a vegan recipe too - though the rest of the recipe sounds great and I'll also try it out.

      Delete
    2. It's listed as optional.. so I don't see the problem.

      Delete
  7. This looks great. I'm vegan and I make a similar mushroom soup seasoned with dill and thyme.
    (I buy vegan feta at Whole Foods in my town btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good, I'm going to leave out the oil and sautee in water or veggie stock to make it even more skinny. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I am a huge fan of mushrooms and soups this wonderful soup looks just perfet to me! Want to have a bowl during this cold day... Happy new year by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I'm trying this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This soup looks amazing! As I am a huge lover of mushrooms I adore musroom soup. And this one looks like I have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As long as you're making it non-vegan by adding cheese to it, why not add some bacon crumbles too? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You people are rude and ungrateful. This woman has taken the time to present us with a wonderful vegan recipe. If you don't like the non-vegan topping, simply leave it out. That's what I'm going to do. It is folks like you who put people off from veganism.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was seriously good. No one in my family is vegan, but I was looking for a recipe for which I had all the ingredients- or reasonable substitutes I easily doubled this and good thing I did. I just used fresh portabellas and thus, didn't have to reconstitute dry mushrooms. I used plain water and almond milk for the liquid. I only had dried, ground thyme and used olive oil instead of grape seed. And, because we had--and like-- feta, put some on top of each bowl.

    It was delish and everyone wanted the bowl's worth that was leftover. Of course, I had already had it though :) Yum.

    ReplyDelete